Search This Blog

Thursday 23 June 2011

Coquette at Kettner's

It seems to be a regular theme with my blog now but I have to say it again – I can’t believe it’s been so long since my last post! I didn’t think I’d even been that busy.

I was otherwise engaged on Saturday though as I got on the train into London to attend Coquette with 3 wonderful friends. I have to say now that I took some photos but was too distracted by things going on around me. Then, I got home and had a cup of tea promptly dropping my camera into said cup of tea, effectively dunking it. I don’t think it will ever be the same again – in the morning it was taking photos that looked like the horror film The Fog and by afternoon it was making very strange beeping sounds and not doing anything. RIP little camera.

....but I digress. The morning started with me deciding what to wear. I chose my favourite Bettie Page dress as it was a rotten day weather-wise and a flowery summer dress would just look wrong. I wore my Vivien Westwood heels and a fascinator from my handmade collection.




Siobhan and I met at the station and took the train into Kings Cross where, while waiting for the other 2 of our group, I met an old friend I hadn’t seen in such a long time who asked if we were going to Ascot. I think this gives you an idea about how we were dressed! After a little waiting we jumped into a black cab which I find such a treat and really makes a day in London special for me. We pulled up at the gorgeous looking Kettner’s, found our way into the beautiful champagne bar, perched ourselves on a leather stool and had our first cocktails. Looking around the room, I have to admit, was slightly intimidating – there were so many ladies in gorgeous outfits and I felt a bit of an imposter. However, I was with such a lovely group of friends that we didn’t care! After a few sips of champagne the wonderful David Carter announced that Coquette was open. We followed various high heels up a winding staircase which then opened out on the first floor. These are the private rooms of Kettners and are just beautiful, airy, high ceilings, big windows and highly polished wooden floors. We were given a map and a schedule and just by chance wandered up another floor which led to a bar, Nails Inc, and Benefit cosmetics. We treated ourselves to some delightful tiny cakes and a cocktail in a teacup while we waited to get have our nails painted. While we were waiting, canapés and finger sandwiches were proffered as well as glass upon glass of champagne. We then went to the bar area and sat on a large green sofa and chatted, ate cake and drank more champagne. Before we knew it it was time for our first class ‘The Art of Kissing’ with. It was a very interesting talk on the history, perception and psychology of kissing, followed by a demonstration by David.

This was followed on by a wiggle class with the fantastic Ruby Dishabilles. I haven’t had so much fun on a Saturday afternoon as we strutted around and then had a wiggle off! We wiggled our way into the dressing room and tried on various hats from and looked through the clothes rails.

While my other ladies went to get their fortunes told I nipped in to get my hair done by Lipstick and Curl and appeared with the most fantastic up do.

It was a wonderful girly afternoon and we all had a great time. The day was bookended by another cab ride to the station where we investigated our goodie bags which included perfume, seamed stockings from What Katie Did, a garter, Gu goodies and samples from Benefit and Murad.  I think we're going to plan on going again in the new year but if you get the chance do get yourself a ticket to the next Coquette you can - you won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. Great dress & blog! Check out www.StopTrafficClothing.com for more Bettie Page Clothing - we had a fab day at Coquette! xx

    ReplyDelete