Search This Blog

Monday 20 September 2010

Queen of Tarts, well....cakes

My lovely friend and I were fortunate enough to get a couple of places at a vintage event run at the 40 Winks hotel in Mile End called 'Tart'.  We were so excited in the run up but left feeling very disappointed.  I think it's more of an event for ladies who have never owned anything vintage, who don't know what a victory roll is and who see it as an afternoon to 'dress up' and drink gin.  The last part was very enjoyable though for all us ladies regardless of our style preferences ;-) 


Tea and cucumber sandwiches at Tart
The attendees on the day seemed to be having a hoot and were made up of 2 main groups - a hen party and a birthday party.  My friend and I kept well away and chatted to the gorgeous ladies hosting who topped up our drinks and offered us sandwiches and cake.  We talked about clothes, myself and another girl were wearing a Swirl dress, and the recent Vintage at Goodwood (mixed views it seems even though I had a great day when I went - will post on this at a later date!) 

We left feeling a little miffed but when we released that the event wasn't aimed at people like us we felt a little better.  Lipstick and Curls were there to make over the girls and I have to admit we looked better before the makeover but there were some great hair dos being produced, sadly we didn't get one.  My lovely friend said she felt like a strict school mistress of old and I felt that I looked like Heidi.  Makeup wise I didn't get to have my eyes made up as the kind lady said I'd already got perfect flicks, I was given Susan Boyle eyebrows (on a very very blond girl like me this does not suit!) and a coating of sticky red gunk on my lips.  It took all my nerve to ask the lady with the mirror to tone down the eyebrows to look a little less like Frida Kahlo.

At the end of the afternoon, 4 hours of wanting to leave but found we were too polite, we got to go home.  Walking down the road to the tube which was actually quite scary, the hair dos started feeling just wrong so took them out on the tube home.  There were some highlights though - goodie bags that we took away were quite exciting and if I hadn't of gone I wouldn't have got to know of the marvellous 'Vintage Patisserie' who supplied the gorgeous cakes.  Angela the lady who runs the company is so lovely and made some very special cakes for my one year wedding anniversary this weekend - thank you Angela!

No comments:

Post a Comment