Search This Blog

Sunday 30 January 2011

Cath Kidston vintage fashion treats and the joy of swishing

Along with catching up with the papers I've been trying to catch up with my post.  Among the evil bills and boring circulars I have the latest edition of making magazine which comes out monthly and has some great things in it - everything from clothes patterns, how to make jam, things for the garden etc.  It's not too girly though and gives guides to buying drills and jigsaws depending on the projects in the magazine. Do check it out.  Things that caught my eye in it were this knicker making kit from Flo-Jo Boutique on http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/


There are are a few different materials to choose from to create your own pair of vintage style knickers.  In a sort of 'Valentine' theme, I saw this too. 
Who remembers making a cassette tape of songs for a friend or boyfriend/husband?  This handy little kit from http://www.teaandceremony.co.uk/ is called the Love Birds CD card and includes a one time recordable blank CD onto which you can record 80 minutes of your favourite (or slushiest) songs. It comes in linen card CD sleeve that features a folk bird design on the front and has room for you to write your chosen song titles on the reverse.  The CD has a plain white writeable surface onto which you can pen a message to your sweetheart.Another little treasure was a Cath Kidston booklet.  Now as per an earlier post I did on Cath Kidston I have mixed feelings on some of the things they do.  I can't really afford them either but I never realised how much of their inspiration comes from vintage patterns.  I was surprised and delighted to see that some gorgeous 1940s tea dresses are now in the new collection.  These are my 2 favourites which both have a sweetheart neckline - super flattering on everyone.


Folk Paisley Hazel Dress


Bright Bunch Hazel Dress



This one is so sweet and I love the collar, it's called Scarlet Brownie dress and I think it would be the perfect thing to wear to a summer Blitz party.


Last but not least is this darling little house dress that reminds me so much of my nan.  I think it is just as lovely as the ones that Vivien of Holloway are selling and I love the print.  This Wispy Floral tea dress however is a lot more practical than the VOH one as you can actually use the pockets!  It's such a shame that Christmas and my birthday have just gone!

I have to point out one last thing that caught my eye in the catalogue and that was this little apron.  It is so adorable but I think it would be very easy to make yourself with a machine.

There was an article in between all these tempting dresses on 'swishing' which is the craze for swapping clothes. The idea is simple, you bring at least one item that's in good condition to give away and in return you get to pick something in return to take away in its place. Venues for swishing can be anything from your house and garden to a club, pub or hotel. A well established swishing party is run by Jo Woolley in East London under the name 'Mrs Bear'. Her events seem to have a real vintage feel to them empathising on the 'make do and mend' slogan with live demos on making alterations to clothes, a bargain haberdashery and 'Knitty Gritty' a knitting workshop. Mrs Bear has a point system depending on what you bring and your clothes are exchanged for your own clothing ration book with your colour-stamped coupons for swapping. It sounds wonderful and right up my street so I'm planning to go to one of these very soon with an aim to hold my own swishing afternoon tea in March. If you want to join me please get in touch. I missed the January one but the next one is on Thursday 17th Feb 2011 at The Circuit Gym @ NLPAC, 76 St James’s Lane, Muswell Hill, London, N10 3RD. It will run from 7.15pm - 9pm and entrance is £4 or free to browse to get a feel for it the first time.



No comments:

Post a Comment