Search This Blog

Monday 21 March 2011

5 days to go!

Yes, just 5 days until my first ever stall at The Joy of Vintage Fair.  Mr P knows how nervous I am and has offered to help me set up in the morning bless him, he can't stay though as football is on (yawn).  I do really appreciate the offer though and may have to take him up on it.  I had a look at my business cards today and really should get some more done.  I only started http://www.vintagegarden.co.uk/ after I had them printed and around the same time I was told that you could get to my etsy shop using http://www.vintagegardencrafts.etsy.com/ which is so much easier than the alternative www.etsy.com/shop/vintagegardencrafts Anyway, the old cards will have to do as I only have 5 days to go - eek!
I think I'm more nervous about meeting new people, people who know me know I am really really shy.  An example of this is that when the water machine breaks on my side of the office floor I don't drink all day as the alternative is walking through the whole office to the other side and I just can't do it.  The flip side is, why have I always worn 'odd' things and bright colours drawing attention to myself?  I feel more confident that way surprisingly and if I'd made an effort on the outside I feel a lot better on the inside. 
Anyway, it will be a good day and a great experience, I just hope I don't get into a 'what is vintage' discussion with a die hard 'I  only wear vintage' vintagista (if there is such a term!)  Like I've mentioned before I have a certain style of dressing which draws from all kinds of eras and influences but mainly the feminine way of dressing of the '40s and '50s.  Empathisis on the '50s as I love the hairstyles, big earrings and even bigger skirts. 
I was talking to a friend the other day who said that to her, anything from before the 1920s was antique and should be in a museum, 1930s-1950s was vintage and 1960s-80s is retro.  In her opinion, anything 1990s onwards could and should be ignored.  Slightly harsh as I wouldn't change my Cyberdog years from 2000 for anything. (if anyone hasn't been to the Cyberdog shop in Camden - if it's still there, I'd recommend it).  Ah, those good old Cyberdog days :-) 
Mr P says that vintage is anything old.  Succinct and to the point as always.
So in order to be prepared for any discussion or need to justify what I make and why I'm selling at a vintage fair here's my reasoning....to me, the term 'vintage' is a feeling that something evokes in me.  Vintage is anything that makes me feel nostalgic, this could range from my lifetime or a time generations before me.  Vintage items, to me, are anything from a teapot made in 2011 to pair of original 1950s clip on earrings.  I don't think it has to be more than 70 years old but it has to have a footing in the past.  An example of this, perfect for Mothering Sunday coming up is this lovely 'Scented Spring Jug' from Waitrose.

I would call this a vintage inspired gift as it has a whimsical, nostalgic feeling to me

Other things I think of as vintage are afternoon tea, seamed stockings, baking things like scones and banana bread, picnics and lovely china sets.  This is just a tiny list of many though.  The dresses and fascinators I make are feminine and looking back to a time when women wore hats and flowers in their hair.  I would call them vintage style as I base a lot of the things on books/photographs/films.  I used to work for a marketing company that recreated vintage events and I am recreating a bit of vintage girly glamour in my fascinators.  Vive la différence ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment