Search This Blog

Monday 13 December 2010

The 3 days of Christmas

I have to say that I am truly in the Christmas spirit after spending 3 days doing nothing else.  Friday mum and I went to The Park Lane Hotel for their Christmas afternoon tea and it was amazing.  We had to admit defeat in the end and to ask to take home the little cakes that we just couldn’t finish and I’m so pleased we did! 
I tried to get myself looking Christmasy with one a fascinator I made just for Christmas.  It's a black base with holly leaves and white poinsettia.  I love the vintage look of the photo - thanks to the clever phone App.  I am wearing my favourite lipstick of the moment, yet another Mac one called 'Chic', and one of my vintage fashion staples my Tara Starlet jacket.
We started with a lovely winter warmer cocktail complete with cinnamon (recipe to follow), a gorgeous trio of finger sandwiches, a tartlet of haddock, hollandaise sauce and quail’s egg (complete with gold leaf) and a smoked salmon milk roll. 

Then came tea....I chose a black leaf vanilla and it was divine!  The smell and taste was beautiful and complimented the next courses very well.  We were given plain and fruit scones with clotted cream, a Satsuma jam and an apple with cranberry jam, both delicious.  Then we admitted defeat sadly...we were presented with 2 darling little cakes – a lemon, polenta and pistachio mini cake and a chocolate Yule log.  They were stunning to look at and survived the cab journey to Kings Cross and the train home.  Finally they arrive home in one piece and were demolished by Mr P.  He very graciously has let me keep the panetonne that was given to us as a gift after tea.  I have to say it was such a wonderful way to spend a few hours.  I haven’t seen my mum that relaxed for a long time.  I did take some photos but only had a little camera that could fit in my handbag so they aren’t that good.  I’ll have a look through them though and see if there are any worth adding to this post.
The next day was out annual Christmas trip to Waddesdon Manor.  The east wing did not disappoint and was decorated with floor to ceiling trees in most of the rooms. This year the theme was Paris and there was even a tree celebrating champagne with bottles in the tree and crystal baubles to represent the bubbles.  We ended up having a Christmas lunch, our first this year and it was a real treat – crackers and all, but I couldn’t wear my hat as I could’ t get it over my victory rolls.
Then Sunday, my family had their Christmas for this year as my brother will be away on the 25th itself. Yet another Christmas lunch so I was relieved to be wearing my high waisted trousers.  My family were very generous, and even though I needed nothing this year and asked for donations to be given to Brain Tumour Research Campaign, I was still treated.  As I am apparently very difficult to buy for (have any of them read my blog I have to ask) they have given me some money to put towards something and I have found that something...
I have always gone for things that are unusual and one of a kind, trying to keep an individual style.  A lot of people who love the vintage look go for true vintage I think as it will be a one off and the chances that you will see someone wearing the same thing is very remote.  However, as mentioned before I love to make myself a little glamorous using a few vintage secrets and inspiration but I also have no problem buying things from the high street and wearing jeans on the weekend.  I think it’s very easy for people to wear the same thing and wear it in a different way and adapt it to their personal style which is why I have no problem posting vintage/vintage repro finds that I’ve come across.  So back to the question in hand?  What am I going to by myself as a gift from my family?  As a crafter I prefer handmade things and I find a lot of lovely things on www.notonthehighstreet.com  This site does what it says on the tin.  It features a lot of artists who want a platform to sell their wares.  I am frequently on the site and have found my present:

It is the ‘Ladies French Handbag’ by French and Floral and I can’t wait to get it home.  Christmas delivery is still an option as well – hurrah!  Whilst I was deciding which delicious bag to go for I treated myself to these as well.  Naughty J

No comments:

Post a Comment