Search This Blog

Monday 8 November 2010

Love from Hetty & Dave

As a crafter myself I truly appreciate it when someone has come up with an idea, followed it through and made it work.  Zoe Larkins is one of these people.  I found her website through the wonders of the web and loved it instantly.  The pieces that are for sale on her site are very different, use the unusual medium of soft leather and are truly inspirational to people like me who appreciate the time it takes to make something quirky and different.  I have never seen anything like the necklaces and rings on ‘Love from Hetty & Dave’.  They are so cool and will all be unique as they are handmade.  It says on the website ‘inspired by Mexican Arts and Crafts, 1950’s Tattoo Designs and Kitsch, as well as current trends, each item is cut and stitched by hand, in high quality soft leather, achieving a one off and somewhat naïve look, which lends a refreshing alternative in this age of mass manufactured fashion jewellery’.  They really are one off works of art.
Products include mouse rings that take me back to my childhood in their Fingermouseyness, gorgeous strawberry themed treasures, a circus range (I have the ringmaster one on my Christmas list to Santa) and customised tattoo heart brooches.  Amy Winehouse and Jodie Harsh have been photographed wearing their personalised heart brooches in their massive backcombs.  Zoe sent the brooches to these celebs as gifts and all were warmly received as the photos prove.  This clever self promotion means that she now gets lots of orders  for heart brooches with the names of loved ones appliqued.

 Personally my favourite items from Zoe are the acorn necklace, unlike other necklaces its size it’s not heavy and I sometimes forget I have it on until I see ladies covert it!!  Also, the gorgeous strawberry headband which is super girly and lies flat so doesn’t feel too dressy.
 The name ‘Love from Hetty and Dave’ comes from a photo that Zoe found of a couple that she found in a junk shop.  Once taken out of the frame written on the back was, 'To Mary and Bill, Love from Hetty & Dave'.   Success hasn’t happened overnight for Zoe, she has continued to believe in what she does and has gone from a stall on a Sunday at Spittlefields to now owning her own shop in Bournemouth, 864 Christchurch Rd, Pokesdown, which supplies her pieces as well local crafts and vintage finds.  Do pop in if you’re in the area! 


Strawberry brooches

My lovely lovely hairband

What is so wonderful to see in this business is that doing something you love can become your full time profession.  Zoe has given up her ‘day job’ to be a full time crafter and shop owner.  I’m sure that it comes with its own challenges but Zoe has shown that if you’re brave and take the  plunge things can work out.
Having ordered from Love from Hetty & Dave a few times I have been treated with a lot of care.  Not only do I receive my treasured handmade item but it comes carefully wrapped and with a feeling that it was packed and sent with love.  Truly, an item bought from the site is sent to you with ‘love from Hetty and Dave.’  Thank you Zoe and continue to be so awesome!



No comments:

Post a Comment