Search This Blog

Wednesday 17 November 2010

Is Cath Kidston vintage?

I didn't know whether to do a blog on Cath Kidston products and the question was only raised as I randomly received one of their catolgues for Christmas.  I am trying to keep this blog vintage based and mention small crafters  so i wasn't sure if Cath Kidston fitted but she had to start somewhere and they are selling some things that, to me, have that vintage feel that I go for. So I did a bit of research on Cath Kidston and here's what I came up with:

Cath Kidston Ltd was founded in 1993 when designer Cath Kidston opened a tiny shop in London’s Holland Park. She began by selling the vintage fabrics, wallpapers and brightly-painted junk furniture she remembered fondly from her childhood. Her clever, witty re-working of traditional English country house style meant that her shop soon became a cult success.
 
Gradually Cath began to design her own prints and products. One of the first was a printed ironing board cover – practical, quirky and with a distinctive floral print, it has come to epitomize the Cath Kidston look. The product offering has expanded steadily to include an extensive range of homewares as well as women’s fashion and accessories and the 2008 launch of the Cath Kids brand.
 
It is yet another fairytale ending, and truly is something special to have a look to a product that is instantly recognisable, so Cath Kidston - I salute you!  I didn't even realsied that they did jewellery but here are my favourite brooches.













The other things that caught my eye are the sweet little baubles that have what I consider to be a 'vintage rose' glitter stencil on them.  I am a sucker for cute packaging so I'm sold on these.


As you know I love making things and think that the tins disguised at books are so sweet, there is one for threads, buttons and pins.  I can see these being really useful around the house but they will be so cute on a shelf hiding your little treasures.

 

So this is all a bit 'Betty Homemaker' and that's what I love!!!  I think it's such a funny idea in this day and age that there is a shop out there that is unashamedly girly selling homewares, sewing kits and cooking bowls.  Where are there the masculine teapots?  There aren't any!  It seems such an unPC shop and assumes that the woman will be doing all the cooking and mending of her husband's clothes while still looking glamourous.  A bit like the lovely January Jones who plays Betty in Mad Men.  I wish I could look as glamorous as she does on a daily basis.  I might pass on the drinking in the day, chain smoking and cheating husband though thank you!  Have a good evening everyone.



No comments:

Post a Comment