Search This Blog

Tuesday 3 May 2011

Great British Bank Holiday #1

I can’t believe how long it’s been since my last post! I think you’ll find with me though, my posts are like buses. You wait and wait for one then a few come at once. Also, my problem is that once I start typing I can’t stop so one long blog turns into many.  you have been warned!

Mr P and I have been off work for nearly 2 weeks and should have had all the time in the world but I just didn’t find enough time to sit down and write on the blog. Naughty me!

It’s been a bit of a lovely whirlwind and first day back to work day. For those of you who,  like me, have been treated to 11 days off - I hope today wasn’t too much of a shock for you. I think I’m still in holiday mode as I went into work looking like this today, false eyelashes and all.... 

Some of the highlights this past fortnight have consisted of dressmaking, cake making, long walks, picnics, Pimms, royal wedding and a little stray cat.

As my friends know I love a good afternoon tea but in the same vein I love picnics. In the past few years there has been a real surge in the popularity of the 1950s picnic baskets by Brexton. I have to say I have one and I love it but it’s not that practical, especially if you’re like the mister and want to sit down far, far away off the beaten track.
My darling Brexton
In recent trips I have left the Brexton at home which is such a shame really, in favour of my lovely bright Tiffin cases. These have loads of room in them and stack up, saving a lot of space. I’ve always wanted a set and picked them up in a sale for a bargainous £10. You can also use the layers as bowls which saves taking heavy china.


I love a good cup of tea, but for me the drink of picnics is Pimms. Mr P surprised me on our first picnic of the year with Pimms in a can! Who knew? It was delicious and tasted very nice in a china teacup.

It was also a time for family and we saw a lot of both of ours. It gave me a chance to make another batch of the Strawberry and Cream cupcakes from The Primrose Hill Bakery book (the first one, not Cake Days.) They went down a storm and I love making them as they look so pretty.  I have loved strawberries since I was little and these have them on top, in the sponge and strawberry jam through the middle - yum!

One of our days out was to Hatfield House, they had a little craft stall and I picked up these little cake toppers that are so pretty!

They are made from paper but look very realistic. I also bought this cup of vanilla flavoured sugar.
The grounds of the house are hosting some Henry Moore pieces at the moment and they are set wonderfully in the gardens. We only live 20 minutes away but we’ve never been in to the house itself which is just amazing. Lots of films have been filmed there including ‘Elizabeth, Golden Age’ and ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’. The next time we go back to Hatfield House will be for Battle Proms, but more on that another time.

We returned home, as we have every day for over 2 weeks, to our house and cat, but with an addition to the family. We’ve had our lives turned upside down by a little furry visitor to our garden who we thought was a stray but turns out he was left by his family while they went on holiday. A neighbour is feeding them apparently, but really? What kind of person leaves a kitten on their own. We were one step away from taking him to the RSPCA before we found out he had owners, and if his family don’t come home soon then we may have to. He is a gorgeous little furry tabby and Mr P and I are smitten. He likes flowers as well as cuddles. 
I’ll keep you posted but this poor little cat is very thin and cries for attention. He has been outside our bedroom window in the morning crying to be let in. Hopefully I'll have news that his family is home and he is so happy there that he doesn’t come to us anymore though we'll miss him!

2 comments:

  1. oh no! hope the kittie is ok! have you been looking after him? sucha cutie!

    loving the blog by the way :) looking forward to your upcoming creations, especially those bloomers! thanks for the link, I think I may have to have a go at a pair of my own soon!

    L.J.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you know a place where you can buy the £10 tiffin cases? thanks

    ReplyDelete