Search This Blog

Wednesday 4 May 2011

Great British Bank Holiday #2

All the dress making I do is based on vintage patterns and using material that I love due to the fact it’s unusual or quirky. I love sewing and am in awe my sewing machine! I was like a child at Christmas when I had finally saved up enough money to buy my own. It was daunting at first but now I’ll try anything.

Finished projects this fortnight include the Macaron Colette pattern.  It has a nifty little concealed zip at the side and fits perfectly.  I am so pleased I got to use my Red Riding Hood material and have enough to make a little clutch bag from it:



I had some lovely summery looking material - skull confetti(??!) so used it to make another Colette 'Crepe' dress, you'd think I'd have enough of these by now but they are so easy to wear and the first one I made survived its first wash recently - phew.



I am a big fan of the ‘Get Cutie‘ dresses but not a fan of their prices so decided to make my own. The Butterick pattern I mentioned in a past post is the closest I could find to their cap sleeved dress. I was really pleased with the material but the finished dress came up rather large and I had to improvise in getting it to fit. I find the Colette patterns fit me so well without adjustments so this was a bit of a shock. I’ve never had to take anything in before. My first thought was to take it apart and start from scratch but I wouldn’t have the patience so took it in where it needed it and I’m pretty pleased with the result. It’s given the skirt a more ‘50s feel though it doesn't show in the photos. I’ve packed the pattern away now with a note to adjust the pattern for next time.



On the subject of dresses, I know it’s predictable but I have to mention ‘the’ wedding dress of last Friday. Stunning. I’m not a Royalist at all but have a distance respect for the Royal Family. I wasn’t interested in the wedding either until the day but I watched every minute of it and loved it. In fact, it made me a bit emotional if I’m honest.  It was great to see how well London can host a celebration and I must be a bit of a tourist at heart as I love all the pagentry. I think the dress speaks for itself and I’m sure you’ve read your fill of how it reminds people of Grace Kelly’s wedding dress, how it’s 1950s based etc. Just enjoy the photos and wish the newlyweds well.







1 comment:

  1. Wow, you have been very busy and what beautiful dresses they are too!!

    ReplyDelete