Search This Blog

Thursday 12 May 2011

Making and Doing

As I think you’ve guessed from this blog I love 1950s fashion and making things, and the more confidence I get making dresses the more patterns open up to me.

I have always respected the small stores that make dresses to measure but can’t really justify the money that they charge. So I get very excited when I find a pattern that looks just like I dress I have lusted after online.

So first off, I’ve seen this Butterick pattern 5332. It has 5 different dresses in one envelope which is bargainous in itself but even more exciting is that the patterns are similar to a few of the online vintage boutiques.  The prom style dress on the left at the front is particularly of interest to me!
I think this Simplicity 3823 is very similar to a popular halter neck dress pattern used on the high street a lot at the moment too.  You can either keep the circle skirt or save on fabrics and make it a fitted 'wiggle' skirt.
So you make a dress that is truly a one off yourself, enjoy the process (hopefully) and save money. Can’t say better than that, and with so many fabrics to choose from you’ll be spoilt for choice. Here are some of my absolute favourites:



I am going to try and recreate this Cath Kidston dress from a mixture of different dress patterns and in a different polka dot colour. Not sure that orange would suit me. Hope that you're now inspired to make your own summer wardrobe!



1 comment: