Search This Blog

Tuesday 26 October 2010

Websites and winter wardrobe warmers

Yesterday I was trying to multitask and organise my personal life at work.  I was obviously doing my day job but at the same time tying to round up my friends for my birthday (anyone who knows when this is will have a HUGE hint to the event with my d.o.b).  I would tell you now where we're planning on going and when but a lot of people are waiting until Friday to buy tickets so I want them to get in first :-)  Needless to say it is a 1940s theme and whilst lovely friends were accepting and buying their tickets yesterday I was then getting emails from them asking what to wear and where to get it.  This made me realise that I have been totally negligent on the website front, an oversight that I am going to rectify now.

One of my favourite sites is http://www.tarastarlet.com/  The ladies that run the label are a mother and daughter team and on their site you'll  find vintage inspired clothes with a pin-up girl, rockabilly style.  Oh such lovely things!  Not only do they do dresses and the kind of things you'd want for a particularly special night out but they do essential wardrobe staples. 

Oh, and the most exciting thing is that they have a sale on which includes up to 50% off several of their items, one of which includes their flattering high waisted pencil skirts.  I think I have one in just about every colour and now you can snap them up for a bargainous £22.50!!!  What I love about these skirts is the Lycra ;-)  They stretch and move with you so no fear of splitting your seams if you bend down. 

Tara Starlet is also my favourite place to get smart high waisted trousers which are perfect for the office and therefore, in my eyes, count as everyday wear.  I have a black pair with pinstripes and they go with everything.  The only thing I would say is that you'll need a killer heel with them if, like me, you have not so long legs.  once on though, with heels, it looks as if your legs go on forever and you can feel glamorous whilst being practical.  Other fabrics that these delights come in are more casual and have a slight nautical theme or are in a lovely tweed, perfect for Sunday afternoon walks.  Talking of getting out and about, TS are doing the most darling 1940s coat.  It comes in tan tweed, grey fleck, blue fleck, bottle green and a brown/beige.  I think I love it so much as it is a 1940s feel bit still feels modern.  It's a little pricey at £150 but it's always said that you should invest in a good quality winter coat.
All together now 'ooooooooooh'
So, you have your coat, and your trousers what now?  Well, if you want to be comfy and just staying around the house I think the most comfortable high waisted trousers I've found are those from http://www.heydayonline.co.uk/. Shona makes these in a variety of different colours and seem to come up a little larger than your normal size but it was like wearing pajamas when you have these on.  You like smart and have a vintage feel but you're just soooooo comfy.  As for what to wear on top, you could knit yourself a jumper from a vintage pattern bought on ebay or search for someone who has done the hard work for you.  I think due to popularity though they can be a bit expensive.  A nice alternative is something from the selection of jumpers from http://www.rocketoriginals.co.uk/ This is one of my favourites:
As their site tells you: 'These were knitted here in the U.K. for Rocket Originals.  We have taken great care to make our sweaters as authentic as possible.  Our designs are taken from original 1940's knitting patterns, and this was knitted on a vintage mechanical knitting machine - you can't get much more authentic than that! '

As for vintage shoes to wear in the 4-season-in-one-day weather we've been having, I'm afraid I'm  not much help.  I always always choose the wrong type of shoe to wear and they are normally platforms with an open toe which I admit can get a little chilly.  but why obsess?  Like I've said before I love the style of ages gone by but I'm not a slave to it.  The wonder of us all being individuals is that we can choose our own style and pick and choose from the elements of fashion gone by. So, I won't feel guilty if I wear some knee high boots off the high street or a pair of killer heels with a high waisted skirt because that's me :-)  Enjoy the sites and remember to treat yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment