Search This Blog

Sunday 17 October 2010

Project number one

As Shara and I make our way through every fabric stall we see (in the flesh and online) it has given me the opportunity to have a look at what I have at home.  I have a sewing book that told me one of the golden rules with buying fabric should be to buy 3 yards of a fabric you love when you see it but don't know when you'll use it.  So I do that a lot and therefore have a lot of fabric.  Also, as I have a compulsion in making circle dresses, if I see a material I'd love for a dress I buy it but for the patterns for vintage style 1950s dresses, this calls for 6 yards of material minimum.  I found such material at home and was going to go for the same type of pattern again when I found my Amy Butler 'Lotus' tunic and cami pattern.  I opened up the instructions and it looked like it could be very similar (with a bit of tweaking) to a pencil dress with cap sleeves - divine!  So, here's the pattern and the material I've chosen:


I've already made a little fascinator from the off cuts and now realise I have enough material left to make a full circle skirt or cap-sleeve top. Hurrah!  The only thing I don't have is a suitable zipper but I am ready to google.  Anyone who always wanted to make their own clothes but never has I would recommend it.  Like anything, I think you just have to go for it.  What's the worst that can happen?  Start small, maybe an apron from a pack or a wrap around skirt?  Clothkits http://www.clothkits.co.uk/ is a wonderful site because they send you the material with the pattern already drawn on, any zippers you'd need the right colour thread.  You just need to cut and sew, it really is that easy.  Build up your confidence and enjoy it!  I'll keep you posted on how the dress goes in the various stages just so you can see it's easier than you think.....oh, and anyone who thinks I'm mad for wanting a summer dress in winter, I wear dresses with stockings and a cardi.  In an age when we leave our warm houses to get straight into a warm car or train then into a temperature controlled building for work I think I will take my chances and wear what I want.
Here's a photo of the fascinator, I can't wait to make the dress!



No comments:

Post a Comment