Search This Blog

Monday 11 October 2010

Autumn leaves but summer flowers?!

In the UK at the moment, it’s Autumn.  After a very sunny summer (so hot that our lawns got bleached and dried up) it started to get darker and colder, the nights seemed to come earlier and the first light of the day later...or so I thought.  The weather this weekend has been blissful.  We have a little summer house at home but it was too hot to sit in on Sunday so I did some weeding.  How glamorous ;-)
 It’s such a strange feeling knowing that it should be getting colder but it seems to be getting sunnier.   Leaves are turning brown and all the great shades that you associate with the season but new shoots are pushing their way up.  It feels really strange but it’s great to still be able to pick roses and sweet peas and bring them inside.  It was really such a treat to spend so much time in the garden this weekend.
 I managed to put our apple and pear trees into good use and made an orchard pudding which is basically an Eve’s pudding but with anything you can find put in the fruit ‘stew’.  The apples and pears are so sweet and you can eat them off the tree.  Never tasted anything like them, so sweet and fresh.  My cousin and wife, who live in Boston stayed with me the night before I got married and in the morning they were so excited that they could pick their own breakfast!  I’ll never lose the image of my cousin running around the garden like a child, picking an apple for everyone and watching them eat it.  He thought it was awesome!  Sadly, this weekend we left the pudding with our hosts for their children but both hubby and I really fancied it Sunday afternoon but didn’t have any!  Will make some next weekend, the smell from the oven was so cozy and delicious.  Apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger – all autumn smells filling our house, can’t get better than that.
It’s not just flowers outside that are doing well.  I seem to ‘collect’ orchids and they are doing so well!  So well in fact that I don’t have room in the house to display them all.  I’ll take some photos and post them on here, hopefully to show that anyone can grow orchids at home.  Don’t be afraid just give it a go.  I would say, like anything involving ‘green fingers’ is: be patient.  I love growing things from seed.  It’s an amazing feeling.  I started to grow anemones one year and potted them in the house, I was so proud that I showed my dad my first seedlings which he promptly plucked out telling me that the shoot I was looking after so well was a weed!  He was right though and a week later the curly tell-tale sign of the anemone shoot pushed through and now we have loads in the garden J
All this talk of flowers has inspired me in crafts.  I have some lovely girly material that I bought to make another Swirl type dress out of.  The only problem with loving the fifties look is that you need so much material to make a circle skirt, the good thing is that it leaves me with lots of spare material to make fascinators and the latest addition to the Teaparties and Lace repertoire...aprons!!!!  I also had a go at another couple of fascinators too.  Is there a point when there are too many flowers on a fascinator?  I’m not too sure, or if there is, I don’t know where that point is hehe.





More orchid clips made!

Other news is that Marge (the T&L head dummy) will be joined by 3 other ‘ladies’.  I ordered 3 more Marges, which I am sure will have names by the end of the week when they arrive.  Hurrah!

No comments:

Post a Comment