Search This Blog

Wednesday 23 March 2011

3 days to go


3 days to go to The Joy of Vintage fair in Watford and I’ve been catching up on the last few editions of Vintage Life magazine. If you haven’t seen this magazine yet, have a look at your local WH Smiths or get the online version as I have started doing. An absolute bargain at £9.99 I think. I first found out about this magazine when it had just launched at Vintage at Goodwood. One of the best things about it is the events section at the back of the magazine. There are some great articles in there as well as some how tos by the amazing Lisa Freemont. If you haven’t seen any of her hair tutorials online on YouTube go to at www.lisafreemontstreet.com. Just amazing and such a stunningly stylish lady.

I also wanted give some blog space to http://www.mydelilah.co.uk/ I bought one of my first handmade pencil dresses from here before I started making my own and knew how difficult it was to make the time. I don’t know how the lady who runs MyDelila does it. When not making pretty things for the site, she performs as burlesque dancer Sandy Sure. I think the webshop is wonderful. Also a handy site to know if you need anything burlesque related from tassles and corsets. I love her mini bloomers!





Oooh the sun is out so it looks like I could have worn a dress today, poop! I finished the sweetheart neckline wrap dress on Monday and love it. I made a fascinator to match with dusky pink roses. Hope to wear the outfit on Saturday for the fair – even if it rains!
Sweetheart neckline


Back of the dress, wrap detail

Matching fascinator
I found a lovely new site the other day called ‘From Britain with Love’. It is an online directory, beautiful done of all things made in the UK. A lot of the designers seem to take inspiration from the past and have a nostalgic theme to them. www.frombritainwithlove.com . There is a great section on there about classes near you to create all sorts of wonderful things – not just fashion but gardening, food and drink, amongst others.

Their mission is simple... ‘we want to let people know that there are beautiful things being made in studios, workshops, factories and farms across Britain every day, and our aim is to help you find them.

From the Shetlands to the Scillies, we've been searching the nation to seek out the very best British made products, from cool crafts and unique homewares, to original designer fashions, delicious locally sourced food and gorgeous handmade gifts.

We know that it's not always easy to find products that have been made in Britain, so we've created a unique online directory which showcases hundreds of Britain's most talented and creative producers. From designer-makers to craftspeople, food producers and retailers - all dedicated to creating or selling beautiful British made products.
If you're looking for inspiration, our regular editorial features bring you the latest trends, fresh ideas and new talent. From 'meet the maker' interviews, competitions and creative course reviews, to travel features and the latest must-visit events, so there'll always be something fresh and exciting to inspire you.


This is their manifesto – something I’d love to print out and live by!

It was on this site that I found this little brooch, so cute!


http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/meninafeliz/product/little-spring-birdie
Also, a little more practical, on the back of all my dressmaking post recently, I found this link to help with all the niggly things that you have to go through when you first start sewing. Here is a link to tutorials on how to start off sewing. I’ll be using it for when I bit the bullet and sew a zip one of these days!

http://www.seamsoeasy.com/page8.htm

So only 3 days to go to my stall, here’s what I’m hoping it will look like on Saturday with a few photos of my favourite pieces. Thank you so much to everyone who’s said that they will pop in and see me on Saturday, be lovely to see you all. Please excuse the photos, I used my little pocket camera and it wasn't as light outside as I hoped when I got home.  I'll be having a 4 foot stall on Saturday so will have a lot more room to spread out and show off more flowers and fascinators.







Also a reminder that Vintage London tickets are now on sale.


http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/find/festivals-series/vintage-at-southbank-centre


http://www.vintagebyhemingway.co.uk/about/vintage-at-southbank-centre








No comments:

Post a Comment