Search This Blog

Tuesday 22 March 2011

4 days to go!


4 days to go until the Joy of Vintage Fair in Watford...

Now, I am not a fan of facebook by any means, I just don’t get it or even like it for that matter but a lot of events are publicised on the networking site by people who don’t have websites and want to organise events.  As Will Ferrell tweeted, and I agree, ' Facebook is like jail, you sit around and waste time, you write on walls and you get poked by poeple you don't know'.

I have heard about 2 events, both with details that you can find on facebook. First is the Tara Starlet sample on Saturday 28th of May, more details on dear o’ facey.

Second is something called ‘PASH’, described as ‘a huge style enclave hidden in the southern quarters of old London Town’. I think the last one was in an old biscuit factor in Bermondsey. Their mission is to enchant and inspire by means of a large, pop-up fairs of vintage and retro style for both men and women. Their website seems to have died a death, http://www.landofpash.co.uk/, but if you want to find out more and when the next date is, then again check out FB.

As Mothers Day approaches I thought I’d try and inspire you to make something for your mum. My mother-in-law very sweetly asked if I could make her an apron. As luck would have it, when I went into Hobbycraft the other day there was a free apron project pattern – hurrah. I was thinking about buying the Butterick apron pattern 5474, but thought it couldn’t be that hard to do my own. So, I bought this lovely material with the most gorgeous blue silk bias binding and got sewing. I am so happy about how it turned out.
For my mum, we are planning an afternoon tea at some point the following weekend as I have 2 little nephews who like to run around a lot. My mum’s favourite are scones so thought I’d share this recipe with you in case you wanted to treat your own mum or just yourself.



Lemon Scones

Make 12

Prepare 20 minutes

Cook 15 minutes

• 30g raisins

• Half a lemon, zest and juice

• 450g self raising flour

• 80g unsalted butter

• 3 tbsp caster sugar

• 300ml while milk

Preheat the oven to 200c. Put the raisins in a bowl and pour over the lemon juice. In another bowl, sift the flour with a pinch of salt and stir in the lemon zest. Add the butter and using your fingertips rub into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.

Sift in the sugar and gradually mix in the milk until you have a rough dough, mix or knead it as little as possible. Turn onto a floured board and divide into half so you can make one batch with raisins and one without. I personally love raisins and always put in as much as I can get away with.

Drain the raisins and gently knead them into one half of the dough. Press each half of dough lightly until 2cm high, then cut out rounds with a 6cm biscuit cutter.

Put on a baking sheet, bake for 12-15 minutes, Cool on a rack and serve with cream and jam or lemon curd. Yummy!


To make things extra special for your mum, Waitrose have started selling some sweet little disposable cake stands, I don't have a photo but you can buy similar ones like these online.

Just a quick sale update, the Dolly Dagger sale is nearly over but you can still get some great shoes for a bargainous price if you have size 4/7 or 8 feet.
I'm going to end with a joke my friend sent me, it's a little bad taste but it made me laugh:


Why did the French chef commit suicide?

Because he had lost the .... huile d'olive!!!!!

Silly but made me laugh.













































No comments:

Post a Comment