Search This Blog

Thursday 17 March 2011

Spring Clean Time

Argh!  Where has the time gone?  I believe that it went with the lovely sunshine that peeped through the clouds on Monday, lulling me into a flash sense of security that spring was here.  Ever since that afternoon, when I ran out to take a walk in this rare sun, I have been stuck at my desk at work.  It's been so busy and not much fun, especially the 2 previous evenings when I had to work late going through slides.  DULL.  Anyway, to balance out the drudgery I have today and tomorrow off work - yippee!  It's not going to be quite as care free as I planned though because I want to give the house a total spring clean.  While Mr P is at work I plan to go through my wardrobe too as there are things in there that I haven't worn and there are just taking up space.  I feel so bad when I go through my clothes and find something that I loved at the time but it's never seen the light of day.  Also, I heard on the radio that the 'average' woman (is there really such a thing?) owns 17 pairs of shoes but only wears 3 or 4 pairs regularly.  I told Mr P and he agreed and then we proceeded to list all the shoes I own as I was adamant that I didn't have more than 6 pairs.  I'm afraid I'm not quite ready to publicly admit how many pairs I have, but needless to say, I'll be going through my shoe 'collection' this weekend too. 

I am obviously getting old...using days off to spring clean.  Six or seven years ago when I was riding around on my motorbike with pink/blue/black with red hair, depending on my mood, I never ever thought that be where I am now, doing some things that even surprise the me of 2011. Firstly, that 20-something old goth of my former self would never dream of buying a pair of walking boots (which I actually did when I first met Mr P and he suggested we go to Wales walking for a weekend while my friends went clubbing in Ibiza) and today I bought my first copy of ‘Inside Crochet’ magazine. I had to laugh at myself. This publication comes out monthly and while I was buying material this morning I saw it and bought it. Haha, what will Mr P say? Anyway, the reason I bought it was that it proclaimed to be a ‘Vintage Chic’ issue. I am always very interested when something jumps on the vintage bandwagon and what people define as vintage. This little magazine is actually quite interesting and has some great patterns in there. My favourites are some little gloves that would be perfect for a summer wedding called Grace – I assume after Grace Kelly and the idea of crocheting flowers for fascinators. Interesting idea and as crocheting takes no time at all I'll give it a go and hopefully have something to show over the weekend. Brilliant way to use up left over wool.   This link http://www.yudu.com/item/details/280755/Inside-Crochet--Issue-15 will let you read the magazine for free
Another purchase of mine this week is this little book. It is in no way a spoof but copies of the original pamphlets of Make Do and Mend – amazing. 
A wonderful little book with a lot of tips that can be used today.  The rationing period during World War II is often described as a difficult time and yet also remembered nostalgically as a time of unity and good sacrifice. In fact, many of its rules and guidelines could still be applied today. "Make Do and Mend" focuses on clothes rationing, which was introduced in June 1940. With the nation's industrial output concentrated on the war effort, basic clothes were in short supply and high fashion was an unknown commodity. Adults were issued as little as 36 coupons a year to spend on clothes. But a man's suit could cost 22 coupons, a coat 16 and a lady's dress 11, so the need to recycle and be inventive with other materials became more and more necessary. The government issued the leaflets included in "Make Do and Mend" to advise on how best to avoid wasting valuable resources by recycling curtains into dresses and old sheets into underwear; in short how to 'make do and mend' rather than buying new clothes. I am chuffed to bits that I am 'doing my bit' in turning curtains in to dresses!

No comments:

Post a Comment